Top ServiceNow Interview Questions & Answers in 2021
If you are in search of frequently asked ServiceNow interview questions, then this blog is just for you. We have gathered group questions by covering all the essential areas of the ServiceNow platform. Whether you are a fresher or an experienced candidate, preparing these ServiceNow interview questions will surely help you with the right knowledge to give your best in your next interview.
Increased demand for IT Service Management tools has created a good number of employment opportunities in the market with great career scope. ServiceNow is one of the widely used ITSM tools by organizations to process customer requests and to unlock productivity. If you are about to start your career as a ServiceNow professional then you are on the right track! All these ServiceNow interview questions and answers are gathered here based on the expert’s advice.
Moreover, this blog covers ServiceNow developer Interview questions as well as ServiceNow admin interview questions. Without wasting any extra time let’s get into the ServiceNow technical interview quotations part. If you wish to gain the latest ServiceNow skills, you can check out our real-time ServiceNow Training.
Frequently Asked ServiceNow Interview Questions and Answers:
1) What is ServiceNow?
ServiceNow is a specialized tool for collecting and processing customer service requests. It provides a single system of records for IT services, business management, and business operations.
ServiceNow has laid its footprint in the ITSM segment in the year 2012 and it has transformed along with the ever-changing technology landscape. It has evolved as a cross-departmental platform and also acts as an enterprise cloud solution. ServiceNow tool has set it apart from all other competitors with its ability to create workflows that automate the process of data extraction.
2) Define the term application in ServiceNow
In ServiceNow, the term Application is nothing but a collection of data and files that helps in delivering a service or manage a business process. ServiceNow comes with a suite of inbuilt applications which include Incident, Change, and Problem. Each application has been designed to address a specific business problem. For example, the Change application provides information about the change management process. Apart from these applications, you are also allowed to add extra applications based on business needs.
3) What are all the products offered by ServiceNow?
ServiceNow offers a wide range of products to cater to the needs of modern organizations. Following are the products offered by ServiceNow:
- Business Management Applications
- IT Service Automation Applications
- Custom Service management
- HR Management
4) What is CMDB in ServiceNow?
The CMDB is abbreviated as a ServiceNow Configuration Management Database (CMDB). Using the CMDB application, we can create logical representations of services, assets and the relation between them. This logical representation will also consist of the infrastructure of your organization. All the details about these components are stored in the CMDB using which we can ensure stability, integrity, continuous service operation and monitor the infrastructure.
You can also use core features of CMDB such as CMDB Health to detect health issues, CMDB Identification and Reconciliation to address reconcile data integrity issues, and CMDB CI Lifecycle Management to manage data life cycle.
5) What is a Business rule in ServiceNow?
A Business Rule is a server-side script in ServiceNow that runs when a record is inserted, displayed, deleted, or updated, or when a table is queried. Using business rules in ServiceNow you can perform the following actions:
- Change values automatically in form fields
- Create events for email notifications
- Script actions.
6) What is meant by domain Separation ServiceNow?
Using the Domain separation feature in ServiceNow you can separate data, administrative tasks, and processes into logical units.
Domain separation is best suitable for the below cases:
- To enforce data separation between two different businesses on a single ServiceNow instance.
- To delegate administration
- To manage a global reporting and global process on a single instance.
- To separate data between various departments
- To create a process difference among customers.
Are you interested in taking up ServiceNow Training Online?
Enroll for Free Demo on ServiceNow Online Training!
7) What are the different search options available in ServiceNow?
In ServiceNow, we have five search interfaces that help you find the information regarding specific segments. Below mentioned are the types of search interfaces available in ServiceNow:
- Global text search: Helps in finding the records stored in multiple tables from a single search field.
- List search interface: Helps in finding records in a
- Knowledge Base: To Find Knowledge articles
- Navigation filter: useful in order to filter the items in the application navigator.
- UI pages: Create a custom UI page
- Live Feed: Search, sort or filter messages in the live feed.
8) Explain the use of HTML Sanitizer?
The HTML Sanitizer Remove the unnecessary markups in HTML fields. It helps to delete unwanted code and protects the platform from security threats.
9) What is a Record Procedure?
A record procedure is defined as a particular type of catalog item that helps the users to build task-based records. Record procedure helps you in providing a better end-user experience rather than using the regular task-based form for record creation. For example, you can use a record procedure to create a change record or problem record.
10) Why do we use the import set tool in ServiceNow?
The import set tool is highly useful for administrators in order to import data from multiple sources and then map that data into ServiceNow tables.
11) What is the process to enable or disable an application in the ServiceNow platform?
Following are the simple steps to enable or disable an application:
- Open the “Application Menus” module
- Click on the application you wish to enable or disable
- To enable, set value for active as “True”, and “False” for disabling it.
12) What is a View?
The view is nothing but an arrangement of fields on a form. On a form, we can arrange various fields based on user preferences and requirements.
13) What is meant by impersonating a user?
Impersonate is a technique used by the ServiceNow administrators for the purpose of testing. Administrators can impersonate other authenticated users and view impersonation logs. When the administrator impersonates another user, he will have exact access as that user including modules and menus. The ServiceNow instance records all the activities of the administrator while impersonating another user.
14) What is Coalesce in ServiceNow?
The Coalesce option in ServiceNow will let you update the existing targeted tables while transforming import data. Coalesce is a set in the Transform Map and acts as a true or false value between the target table filed and source import set filed. ServiceNow and Coalesce on a single field will attempt to match source values with the targeted values. If any match is found, then ServiceNow will update that record. If there are no matches then the new record will be inserted into the database.
Following are the three different Coalesce methods available:
- No, Coalesce method
- Single Coalesce method
- Multiple field Coalesce method
15) What is meant by UI policy in ServiceNow?
UI Policies are generally deployed to change the behavior of data on a form and to control various custom process flows for tasks. Using the UI policy in ServiceNow, we can perform tasks like making a form read-only, hiding fields, making short description fields mandatory, etc. All these things can be done by using basic UI policies and require no scripts. To execute more advanced actions, use the Run scripts option.
16) Define Data policy?
Using Data policies in ServiceNow we can enforce data consistency by setting read-only and mandatory states for fields. Data Policies functions similar to UI policies but UI policies are specifically applied to the data entered using a standard browser. Data policies are used to apply rules to whole data flows into the system through import sets, web services, data through mobile view and much more.
The data policies are default, applied to all GlideRecord operations which include those used in REST Table API and Scripted REST APIs. You will have a chance to not to apply data policies to:
- Target records of SOAP web services
- Client-side UI policies
- Import sets
17) What are Client scripts in ServiceNow?
Following are the tasks we can perform using client crips:
- Hide or visible fields
- Make fields writable or readable only
- Make fields mandatory
- Make fields optional
- Define the value in a field based on the value of other fields
- Display message by basing vale in a field
- Make changes to choice list options based on a user’s role.
18) What are different client scripts used in ServiceNow?
Below mentioned are the various types of client script:
19) Will it be possible to call a business rule through a client script?
Yes! It is possible to call a business rule using a client script.
20) Which table acts as a parent table for the change, problem and incident?
The Task table acts as a parent table for a change, problem and incident. All the configurations and fields defined to the parent table automatically applies to all its child tables.
21) What is GlideRecord in ServiceNow?
In ServiceNow, GildeRecord is used for executing operations related to the database. A GlideRecord consists of both fields and records. All the queries generated using client-side GlideRecord are executed on the server. We can use GildeRecord to execute various database operations instead of writing SQL Queries.
22) What is “Import Set” in ServiceNow?
Import Set enables the ServiceNow administrators to import data from diversified sources and allows them to Map that data into ServiceNow tables. We can import the data manually or we can automate the data import process by scheduling the time and date.
23) Explain about Transform Maps in ServiceNow?
A Transform map is a group of field maps that defines the relation between fields of an existing ServiceNow table and fields in an import set.
24) What is an updated set in ServiceNow?
An “update set” is defined as a list of configuration changes that can be easily transferable between the instances. This feature simplifies the work of administrates by allowing them to group a series of changes into a record and move them to other instances or systems for deployment or testing.
An updated set is an XML file that consists of:
- A group of record details that simplify the
- Configuration changes
- State of configuration changes
25) Define LDAP in ServiceNow?
The word LDAP stands for Lightweight Directory Access Protocol. The LDAP integration allows your system to use the LDAP server as a major source of user data. Administrators Integrate with LDAP to simplify the user login process and to automate various administrative tasks associated with the user login process. The LDAP integration is also a part of the single sign-on implementation.
26) Define Foreign record insert in ServiceNow?
The foreign record insert happens when any import makes modifications to the incorrect table or table that is not targeted for that import. For instance, the main intention is to update values for the caller on an incident, but the import is mistakenly updating the sys_user table.
27) Name the search engine used to search files or text on the ServiceNow platform?
Zing plays the role of the search engine in ServiceNow and executes all types of searches.
28) What is the Inactivity Monitor?
Using the ServiceNow inactivity monitor, we can define an inactive monitor for a task record. If the task is inactive for a certain period then the inactive monitor will automatically trigger events at regular intervals.
29) Define Domain Separation ServiceNow?
The Sub-Tenant platform architecture of ServiceNow is also called Domain Separation using which we can separate the application data, administrative tasks and processes into logical groups called domains.
The domain separation is highly useful for the customers who:
- Require data separation between business
- Need delegated administration
- Wish to manage global processes and reporting in a centralized system.
30) What is HTML Sanitizer ServiceNow?
HTML Sanitizer automatically erases the unwanted code from the HTML fields and protects from external security breaches.
With this, we have come to the end of this ServiceNow interview questions blog. Hope this blog has helped you in gaining in-depth knowledge of all the questions. Preparing these ServiceNow real-time interview questions also helps you in easily clearing the interviews of top companies such as Capgemini, Deloitte, Infosys, Cognizant, KPMG, etc. If you would like us to include any questions or find any uncovered questions please comment on them in the comment section, we will respond at the earliest. Happy learning!