Top 50 Okta Interview Questions In 2021
Your constant search for the Okta Interview questions ends here. Okta is an emerging and widely used Identity and access management platform. It is an enterprise-level identity management service built for the cloud and also supports many on-premises applications. Okta offers high flexibility and easily integrates with on-premises identity management systems, applications, and directories.
To help the learners with the suitable material, we have collected a group of frequently asked Okta interview questions based on the Okta industry expert’s advice. We have designed these interview questions to suit the learning needs of freshers as well as experienced candidates. Let’s get into the question and answer part.
Frequently Asked Okta Interview Questions and Answers
1. What is OKTA?
OKTA is a cloud identity service that connects anyone with the checked application upon any other device. OKTA is a service that provides enterprise-grade identity management, which is created for the cloud. But cooperative with various on-premises applications. By using OKAT, IT can control any employee’s approach to any application or device.
Interested to begin your career in an emerging Identity and access management platform?
Enroll now for the Okta Training Course. Click to check out the course details.
2. What is the use of OKTA authentication?
OKTA authentication allows the user to authenticate their business operations and execute tasks like multicore authentications, account verifications and also assist you to reset your forgotten passwords and unblock the accounts.
3. List the types of authentications that are there in OKTA?
Two different types of authentications are present in OKTA they are:
- Multicore authentication
4. What is Multi-factor authentication?
Multi-factor Authentication gives various ways to improve accessibility by letting the right people in and the wrong people out. Multiple factors are listed below:
- Knowledge: this depends upon the user’s ability.
- Possession: this depends upon something that users already have.
- Biometric: this depends upon something which the user is.
5. Why is OKTA so popular?
There are three main reasons why OKTA is so popular they are:
Complete identity management solution:
- 5000+ cloud applications and integrations.
- Works for on-premises, mobile, and cloud.
- It has improved compliance and security.
- 3100+ customers over various industries in 185 countries.
- Customers bear firms like century fox, Experian, Adobe, and NASDAQ.
- In the year 1993, OKTA is recognized as the innovative product of the year.
6. List various OKTA products?
Below are the various products of OKTA:
- Universal directory.
- Lifecycle management.
- OKTA API products.
- Multi-factor authentication.
7. Give a few examples you know for 2-factor authentication?
- Credit card + Signature.
- ATM card + PIN.
- Username + Password.
- PIN + Fingerprint.2-factor authentication is used to increase the security level; few examples are given below:
8. Tell me a few examples you know for 3-factor authentication?
3-factor authentication is used to provide the highest security; few examples are:
- Username + Password + Fingerprint.
- Username + User code + SecurID token.
9. What is the use of SSO?
SSO (Single Sign-on) enables users to obtain all their applications by signing in just once. With SSO, users are required to remember a single password. Below is the list of benefits of Single Sign-on:
- Increases usability, productivity, and access.
- Decreases risk of inadequate password habits.
- Reduces the cost of the help desk.
- Removes the requirements for various passwords.
10. Is it possible for an OKTA admin to see the user password?
No, the OKTA admin cannot see the user password, but they can see the username of any user.
11. What is the use of Platform security?
Platform Security is practiced to protect a whole platform also secures the complete span of software or devices upon that platform, removing the requirement to incorporate individual, multiple security standards for different programs upon the system. Security is the platform level that makes the security process easy for IT, including developers.
12. List the different components of platform security?
The five different components of platform security are:
- General Platform Security.
- Login security.
- Access Control Rules.
- Domain Separation.
- Encryption Support.
13. What does the OKTA universal dictionary allow us to do?
The universal directory enables you to save employee, partner, plus customer profiles within OKTA, by creating a user-based and single source of truth.
14. What are the primary activities of the OKTA super admin?
The following are the primary activities Of OKTA super Admin;
- Super Admin generates any other admins.
- Installations and Configurations of any other agent.
- Allocating jobs to various OKTA groups.
- Permitting admittance to the Support team of OKTA.
- Adding users to admin groups.
- Access CSV file to execute auditing tasks.
15. Tell me something about SAML?
SAML is nothing but an open standard for allotting authorization plus authentication among various providers.
16. Why do we have to utilize SAML?
SAML has several gains for unique users, service providers, and identity providers.
- Administrative jobs like password reset etc., take very little time with the use of SAML.
- Security has improved.
- It also enhances usage by overcoming obstacles.
17. Differentiate between SCIM server and SCIM connector?
SCIM server is generally a SaaS application. This transfers the identity of data to Slack or box within the SaaS application.
SCIM connector is a cross-domain identity management standard. SCIM connector assists you in controlling and monitoring every type of object at the endpoint.
18. For multi-factor authentication, how much time does SMS(OTP) is available? Can we edit the OTP?
In Multi-factor authentication, the availability of SMS (OTP) is for 5minutes. Notably, users cannot edit or change it. As of now, within Okta MFA, we cannot configure the timeout option.
19. Can we use multiple mobile numbers within OKTA multi-factor authentications?
No, we cannot use more than one mobile number in OKTA multi-factor authentication.
20. Can the remembered device/account in MFA be removed?
Yes, there is a method to remove the remembered device or account. In MFA, a table named People -> where you can discover the ‘reset multifactor’ button -> this button removes any MFA set on any account/device.
21. How to get notified that our passwords will be expiring soon?
OKTA gives an option for its OKTA users; this option can de be driven as follows;
Select securities -> tick authentication -> choose default policy -> you will discover “prompt user ‘X’ days before the password expires.
22. What are the two factors which define the last logon for OKTA users?
Whenever any OKTA user logs within the OKTA groups, there are two AD attributes are available to manage this process are:
- Last Logon.
- Last login timestamp.
23. How can we add users in the majority in OKTA?
Okta Admin can upload users in the majority by navigating over the below location.
Directory -> more action -> “Import users from the CSV”.
24. Tell me a way to download whole groups or users from OKTA?
All users plus groups cannot be located within one place. We can find 80% of them in system logs and reports. User’s permissions can be located within the Security → Administrators directory.
25. What do you know about state tokens?
State token is termed as a temporary token through which current transactions states are encoded.
26. How can we enable MFA in OKTA?
We can do it by following the below steps:
- The first step is to Log in to Okta org-like user amidst the administration.
- Tick the “Admin” to go inside the interface called the administrator.
- Opening the menu named “Security” is your third step.
- Choose “Authentication” from that menu.
- Click the “Multifactor” option.
- Click the button named “Edit” within the section– “Factor Types”.
- Checkboxes must be check which is right next to the “Google Authenticator” plus “SMS Authentication”.
- Tick the “Save” button, which is green in color.
27. What is the use of oktaClient.instantiate(SecurityQuestionFactor.class); ?
oktaClient.instantiate(SecurityQuestionFactor.class); is used to add factor in JAVA.
28. How to reset OKTA MFA?
We can reset our MFA by logging into our Okta org upon a mobile device or computer. Tick on username, which is on the top of the menu, and then the menu item called ‘Settings’ must be selected. Navigate to the Extra Verification section, then choose Restart or Setup, which is right next to the MFA Factor you desire to set up or reset. Give the required data and finally save it.
29. How to give priorities to the password policies?
The universal directory gives policies named “group password”, wherever a policy holding greater priority than others will receive precedence.
30. If multiple factors are configured for an OKTA MFA user, which one will be considered?
In the case of Okta MFS multiple factors, users will get an opportunity to pick the factor that users desire to use. Admin can restrain easy factors by building policies.
31. How to create an OKTA API Token?
We can create an OKTA API token simply by following these steps:
- Go to the Service Account Dashboard.
- In the Service Account Dashboard, choose Security.
- In Security, there is an option called API select it.
- On the API page, select an option called “Create Token.” by this, we can create an OKTA API token.
32. What is the use of Device Trust solutions of OKTA?
OKTA Device trust allows its users to access the applications from only trusted devices.
OKTA Trust Device helps organizations to protect their corporate resources by enabling only partners and end-users to access the integrated applications of OKTA.
33. List various Client-based solutions of OKTA?
The four different Client-based solutions of OKTA are:
- Jamf Pro-managed macOS.
- Managed domain-joined Windows.
- MDM-Managed ios.
- MDM-Managed Android.
34. What are the two different SAML-based solutions?
The two different SAML-base solutions are:
- VMware Workspace ONE for ios and Android devices.
- VMware Workspace ONE for macOS and Windows Computers.
35. What are the benefits of OKTA Device Trust for Windows?
Key benefits of OKTA Device Trust for Windows are:
- We can work in multiple environments.
- Provides ultimate security.
- OKTA Certificate Authority provides frictionless end-user participation.
- Even if there is no network boundary defined, it protects the organization’s information.
36. What is the use of the tasks page?
Tasks page is used to know the details of tasks listed within the Status section, which is present in the Dashboard page.
37. What do you know about a notification page?
The notification page is used to check all the notifications that we have sent, notification we have deleted, and also allows us to generate new custom notifications.
38. What are the types of end-user notifications?
There are two types of end-user notifications they are:
- The administrator sent custom notifications: these notifications are generated and managed by the administrator only.
- New app assignments: these notifications are automatically sent to the user whenever they are assigned with a new application. These notifications are one-time messages. If the users close these messages, then the notifications get deleted.
39. How to create a notification?
Creating a notification is very simple. You have to follow these steps:
- The first step is to select the “send message” option.
- After selecting the “send message” option, a new notification dialogue box will be opened. Just type your message within it.
- If you are willing to send that message to every employee of your organization, you have to click the “send to everyone” option.
- Remember that the message must not beat 150 characters.
40. How to delete notifications?
To delete a notification, you just have to select the delete(x) icon right next to the message you want to delete.
41. What is the use of OKTA HealthInsight?
An organization’s security settings were audited by HealthInsight. This also suggests us the tasks to enhance the security poster. These recommended securities are only for admins who are responsible for managing employees in the organization.
42. What is the use of Delegated authentication?
Using Delegated authentication, users can sign in to OKTA by using the credentials of the Active Directory of the organization.
43. How system logs determine risks?
System logs give insights to determine risks by combining any of the two following reasons:
- Suspected Threat
- Anomalous Device
- Anomalous Location
44. What are Identity Providers?
Identity Providers manage the accounts of the users. Including Identity Providers within the OKTA will allow users to register themselves with the custom applications by authenticating a smart cart or a social account.
45. List the benefits of Social Authentication?
- Social Authentication provides comfortable self-registration for its users.
- No additional password is needed.
- Whenever the social profiles of users are updated, then their OKTA profiles are also updated automatically.
- There is no need to generate and manage a user database, or there is no need to manage passwords or usernames.
46. Name some of the ist domains?
Few important list domains are:
47. What are the different domains under port80 that are used for troubleshooting the certificate revocation?
The three domains that are used for troubleshooting the certificate revocation are:
48. List the features of Workflow?
The three key features of Workflows are:
- Event Hooks: Event Hooks can trigger the process flows within your software.
- Automation: automation will give the response to the modifications done in the end-user lifecycle.
- Inline Hooks: Inline Hooks will help us to integrate the custom code within the OKTA workflows.
49. What are the different attributes of Event Hooks?
The six different attributes of an Event Hook are:
- Authentication secret
- Authentication field
- Subscribe to events
- Custom header fields
50. How to add users manually?
You can add users manually by following these steps:
- The first step is to go to the admin console to find the Directory option then click “people.”
- The second step is to click the option called “Add Person.”
- In this third step, you have to select the user type or select the default option.
- In this step, you have to fill the fields like Name, email, passwords, etc.,
- Finally, click the save button.
With this, we have come to the end of this Okta interview questions and answers blog. Practicing these questions thoroughly will help you in effectively answering the questions asked in the interview. Hope you have found this blog helpful and comment your doubts in the comments section our experts will address at the earliest. Happy learning!