Matillion Tutorial: What is Matillion, Features, and Matillion Advantages
Are you in search of a Matillion tutorial? Then you have come to the right place. Irrespective of the size or industry, almost all the organizations across the globe are largely relying on data to understand customer behaviour, improve decision making, analyse market trends, find new opportunities, and much more. Data that contains valuable insights is growing at a rapid pace and on the other side, technological inventions have made data processing easier and helping organizations with the right analytics.
In order to transform the raw data into understandable insights, we need typical tools like ETL tools, data warehousing tools, BI tools etc. This Matillion tutorial has been designed to provide a clear overview of this tool and the process it uses to perform essential operations in Extracting, Transforming and Loading data into data warehouses tools. Let’s get into the Matillion tutorial part.
Following are the concepts covered in this Matillion Tutorial:
Table of Contents
What is an ETL?
ETL stands for “extract, transform, and load.” This tool plays a key role in gathering data from multiple data sources and consolidating it into a centralized location. In layman words, an ETL tool collects and transforms different types of data and loads this data into data warehouse tools like Snowflake, Redshift, Bigquery, and Azure.
Challenges Associated with Traditional ETL tools:
Following are the typical challenges associated with traditional ETL tools:
- The majority of the traditional ETL tools require a huge hardware setup and fail to integrate with modern infrastructure.
- Traditional ETL tools are limited to process relational data.
- It is difficult to process unstructured and semi-structured data. Processing these types of data sets would result in integration issues or data loss.
- Requires a lot of manual efforts to create and manage the data pipeline
- They don’t generate schema propagation and data replication.
- These tools do not possess the ability to scale easily. It slowdowns data processing and analytical cycles.
- It is a very difficult task to gain a comprehensive view of real-time data.
- Managing traditional tools associated with high expenditure like licensing, maintenance, etc.
What is Matillion?
Matillion is a powerful and modern cloud ETL tool specifically built for cloud data warehouse platforms like Snowflake, Amazon Redshift, Google BigQuery, and Azure Synapse. This tool easily pushes down data transformations to your data warehouse and has the capability to process millions of rows in seconds and provides real-time feedback.
Matillion is a browser-based UI and offers powerful ETL/ELT functionality. It comes with advanced features like version control, collaboration, graphical job development, and offers 20+components to perform data read, write and transform functions. Matillion supports a wide range of data connectors to gather data from multiple sources and streamlines the process to load that data into a cloud data warehouse or data lake.
- Easy to use drag and drop browser interface.
- Live feedback, data preview, validation
- Push-down ETL technology combines warehouse tool to perform complex joins
- Support a wide range of collaborations
- Wide range of admin menus to simplify administration
- Offers 50+ popular connectors to connect and source data from
- Easy User interface and help you execute jobs in minutes
- Advanced In-client support
- Offers enterprise-wide features like Data Lineage, and Documentation.
Data Warehouse Platforms supported by Matillion
At present Matillion supports five different cloud data warehouse platforms which include Google BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, Snowflake, Synapse, and Delta Lake. let’s discuss each data warehouse platform
Snowflake is gaining huge momentum in the data warehouse platforms segment. Matillion ETL transforms any type of complex data and loads it into the Snowflake data warehouse which allows the users to make data-driven decisions. The modern cloud capabilities of the Matillion tool offer users simplicity, speed, and ease to scale. Using Matillion for Snowflake allows the users to make use of elastic compute power to instantly turn data into actionable insights.
If you wish to build your career in a top data warehouse platform check out our Snowflake Online training
Want to start your career in Snowflake.
Amazon Redshift is one of the leading cloud data warehouse platforms offered by Amazon Web services. It has been designed to effectively execute large databases and migrations. Redshift offers a secured way to flow data between SQL client and cluster. It allows the users to query and conduct analysis on structured and semi-structured data using standard SQL. The majority of the companies are using Redshift along with Matillion to power their analytics process.
Google BigQuery is a fully managed and advanced enterprise data warehouse system that allows organizations to solve data management problems by enabling fast SQL queries using Google’s processing infrastructure. Using Google BigQuery you can easily conduct analysis on a petabyte of data with the help of ANSI SQL integration with multiple applications. Matillion supports all ETL operations on top of Google BigQuery.
Want to become a Google BigQuery Expert? Check out our BigQuery training designed and delivered by experts.
Azure Synapse Analytics:
Azure Synapse evolved from Azure SQL data warehouse and acts as a centralized platform for supporting data warehousing and analytics. It performs analytical functions on relational and nonrelational data on a large scale. Matillion is one of the widely deployed tools to fulfill the ETL needs of Azure Synapse.
Delta Lake on data bricks is an open-source platform used for storing large volumes of data. It ensures data quality using an additional storage layer and supports multiple data pipelines to read and write data at a time. Delta lake comes with advanced features to integrate and work with multiple tools. Matillion supports all ETL requirements of Delta Lake.
Advantages of using Matillion ETL tool
Following are the typical advantages that a business can gain from using this tool:
- It supports a wide range of Integrations
- Offers Powerful ETL functionalities to source data from various points.
- Matillion easily works on cloud data warehouse platforms like Snowflake, Redshift, Google BigQuery, and Azure Synapse.
- It comes with an advanced easy to use Graphic User Interface.
- Offers a wide range of components to meet multiple business needs.
- High scaling capabilities as uses cloud computing.
- It supports easy data transformations.
- Easy to set up, backup and restore.
- Easy to learn
- Easy scripting using Python.
- Fast data loading
- Supports easy organizing of jobs.
Industries using Matillion
Following are the industries which are using Matillion:
- Hospitals & Clinics
- Software Manufacturers
- Energy, & Utilities
The modern and powerful ETL capabilities of Matillion has made it the popular cloud ETL tool in the market. It is highly flexible and easily works with popular cloud data warehouse platforms. We update this Matillion tutorial on a timely basis to provide the users with more accurate information so stay tuned. You can also check out our blog on Matillion Interview Questions and Answers. Happy reading!